No explanation needed...

No explanation needed...

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Panelaço

Last night while riding my bike in Graças I heard a "panelaço", a common form of protest in Brazil and some other parts of Latin America. A panelaço is the collective banging of pots and pans out windows during a speech broadcasted by unpopular politicians. Luckily I had my handy H2n.

Graças is a wealthy area of Recife and as a result is more likely than others to have citizens who are not happy with the PT (Partido dos Trabalhadores or "Worker's Party") due to recent corruption scandals and general discontent with the leadership of current President Dilma Rousseff.

The panelaço started when ex-president and founder of the PT, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva (Lula), founder of the PT, came on television. The bangers of pots and pans were out to make as much noise as possible instead of hearing words from someone they considered dishonest and bad for the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Filter Bubble

The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from YouThe Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from You by Eli Pariser
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What an important book for me. I'm almost sure that the majority of my friends have not had the ridiculously important and often shocking ideas in this book presented to them. We're talking about the future of personalized internet, which means, we're talking about YOU. What you read becomes part of you. What you see becomes part of you. And what the multiple algorithms (designed by profit-driven individuals) decide you should see.
This book reminds me that we need to be our own advocates as far as internet privacy and personal data go. Moral of the story for me: My personal data is my property, and it is NOT TOO LATE for us to recover the right to KNOW what is done with my data, WHERE it is distributed, and for what purposes. GREAT BOOK!!

View all my reviews

Tree Planting

Tree Planting
Tree Planting @ La Cangreja

Followers

Hike to La Piedra

Hike to La Piedra
Parque Nacional La Cangreja