No explanation needed...

No explanation needed...

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Eve

So I found myself sitting on an uncomfortable wooden bench, but as comfortable as could be. It is New Year’s Eve, but only 8pm. Was it the homemade corn beer? Or was it the dubbed episode of Fear Factor that I was watching with my Costa Rican grandfather and grandmother? (Two people who have never seen a beach, a train, a cruise ship, or an iPhone) I’ll give more weight to Fear Factor because it inspired all the entertainment that I withdrew from the commentary my grandparents were making about the contestants. One group of contestants were covered in tattoos and seemed like they were on some speed-based drug, but as we all know, that’s how you get on a game show to begin with. If you’re not on drugs, you just act like you are. That group was called the “apestosos”, which means smelly. Another group consisted of a powerful, assertive woman and a less-than-powerful man. The woman was described as the one that “lleva los pantalones” in the relationship. Luckily for all of us, that is an expression that translates directly in almost all the languages I’ve ever learned. To help you imagine my grandfather’s personality, he’s kind of like a toned down Mohamed Ali interspersed with Ghandi and Al Roker. “A CARAMBAAAA!” is his favorite expression. My grandmother is a bit reserved but she’s got everything working for her. She’s miniature, has a mousy voice and a brilliantly tiny laugh, and usually just giggles at everything. So after eating chalupas and drinking chicha I found myself answering questions about whether or not the Fear Factor contestants were a representative sample of the United States population. I said yes, of course.

New Years Eve is not quite over, it’s just that when you’re buzzing on chicha, from corn which, ten days ago, you plucked from the stalk, stripped from the cob, soaked then wrapped in banana leaves, then ground and boiled yourself, you start to appreciate just about everything more than you normally would. So with three full hours of hilarious exchanges left to go, I find myself at my computer with a desperate desire to catch all the things I’m feeling right now. This short entry might not reflect a certain reality which is important to me right now, that is, that I have overcome a hump that I thought insuperable only a few days ago. With the help of my father and mother, and a few good friends, all the highlights of the many possible perspectives regarding my stay here in Costa Rica became clear to me. I have decided that I am exactly where I need to be right now, that all is right in the world, and that it could never be any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Filter Bubble

The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from YouThe Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding from You by Eli Pariser
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What an important book for me. I'm almost sure that the majority of my friends have not had the ridiculously important and often shocking ideas in this book presented to them. We're talking about the future of personalized internet, which means, we're talking about YOU. What you read becomes part of you. What you see becomes part of you. And what the multiple algorithms (designed by profit-driven individuals) decide you should see.
This book reminds me that we need to be our own advocates as far as internet privacy and personal data go. Moral of the story for me: My personal data is my property, and it is NOT TOO LATE for us to recover the right to KNOW what is done with my data, WHERE it is distributed, and for what purposes. GREAT BOOK!!

View all my reviews

Tree Planting

Tree Planting
Tree Planting @ La Cangreja

Followers

Hike to La Piedra

Hike to La Piedra
Parque Nacional La Cangreja